Page 21

Tallis

Re: Page 21

Post by Tallis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Below is the answer. DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER!!
Spoiler!
Wisdom
jvt777

Post by jvt777 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Tallis wrote:Below are the first two hints to solving this page.
Spoiler!
1) Know that the text itself--while excellent prose-- is not part of the solution per se. Individual letters found in individual words in the text are essential to solving the riddle however.

2) This is an Arnold cipher, where you construct new words or phrases from certain letters scattered throughout the text. The key to knowing which letters to use is found in the number code at the bottom. Ultimately, the answer is a six letter word (gotten using the six 3-number combinations).
Thank you for the hint! :D

I was overthinking it way too much. Now it seemes way too easy :P
Werepyrowolf

Post by Werepyrowolf » Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 pm

Spoiler!
I’ve decoded the string of digits and gotten the answer. The only thing that’s bugging me is how you’re supposed to work out that it’s an Arnold cipher. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance.
PAINT3D

Post by PAINT3D » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:36 am

Werepyrowolf wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 pm
Spoiler!
I’ve decoded the string of digits and gotten the answer. The only thing that’s bugging me is how you’re supposed to work out that it’s an Arnold cipher. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance.
Spoiler!
It’s not necessary to know exactly what it is or is called. Personally I didn’t even know what that was when solving it. Figuring out how that worked for the first time was satisfying for me. The only thing that caught me out was the grey spots behind the letters, I got stuck because I thought it was the old q-tip kind of code. I figured it out when running the highest number (16) against significant things on the page. I had thought it meant the amount of letters with gray spots (which was ‘coincidentally’ near 16) but when I decided to move on from that theory I realized it was the line number and everything fell into place