Page 90

yodazhang

Re: Page 90

Post by yodazhang » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:19 pm

After you have found the
Spoiler!
5 items, check page 82 and get the corresponding times.
At these
Spoiler!
times in the video, you will find 5 letters that make the word.
joeychan

Post by joeychan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Try this:
Spoiler!
1) key provides coordinates
2) use coordinates to find timestamps on pg 88
3) check video
Abaurer77

Post by Abaurer77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 am

Help!!

Got the letters associated with the times, and found the picture that matches from the chart but cant figure oht what to do :(
Tallis

Post by Tallis » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

This is a challenging and most rewarding puzzle to solve, although it makes you put in the time to earn the solution. It exists in two parts that have independent solutions, requires data from a prior page in the book, and the ability to watch a YouTube video in order to get the final answer, which is a ultimately a common 5-letter word. Below are some graded hints leading to the solution. It assumes you know key 76. If you don’t know it, then don’t continue. . .
Spoiler!
The clue below the grid at the bottom is in 2 parts: 'journal29.com/checkpoint', and 'checkpoint .. .. .. .. ..' Both parts are vital, but independent of each other at this point. Start with 'checkpoint .. .. .. .. ..' and see that there are 10 letters in the word and 10 dots in 5 pairs. Also notice that the columns and rows (or x,y coordinates) on the grid above are labeled with 10 letters as well.
Spoiler!
Cut the letters of 'checkpoint' into 5 pairs: ch ec kp oi nt. Use the first pair 'ch' as xy coordinates on the grid. 'ch' points to 'f'lag', 'ec' points to 'batteries', and so forth. Create a list of 5 grid objects in order.
Spoiler!
You should have: flag, batteries, (coffee) mug/cup, light(bulb), and lock. Where have you seen these words before?
Spoiler!
On page 82, the names of those objects are there with numbers (or times) associated with them. You want to know those numbers/times and use them along with the other part of the clue on page 90.
Spoiler!
Go to 'journal29.com/checkpoint' by typing it into a browser that takes you to a video to watch online. Watch it and don't fret that there is no sound or image to see even tho it is playing. You don't need sound, and the video is 22+ minutes long with mostly black space to reward you for your efforts in sitting through it (kinda' aggrivating, but you can play it back a 2X the speed if you are impatient).
Spoiler!
The video is 22 minutes of black space, punctuated by shots of 10 different letters. 5 of those letters make a word that is the answer to the puzzle you seek. Each letter is only on the screen for a few seconds, so scrubbing through the video will not likely get you what you need. The great secret here is that you can get the right letters/answer without having to watch the whole video if you have the right times (or checkpoints) to focus on.
Spoiler!
Go back to your 5 words with their attending numbers/times. You should have:
Flag: 1730
Batteries: 0905
Coffee mug/cup: 0812 (a great Van Halen album btw)
Light(bulb): 0030
Lock: 0630

Scrub back and forth through the video to those timepoints to identify 5 letters. For example, for flag/1730, skip to 17 minutes 30 seconds in the video. You'll see a 'D' on the screen. Keep going to spell a common 5-letter word.

And the solution is below. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER!!
Spoiler!
dream
dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:42 pm

I agree with Tallis, this is maybe my favorite puzzle in the book.
Spoiler!
It really rewards attention to detail. None of the steps is really all that complicated, but put them all together and it adds up to quite a challenge! For me, the biggest stumbling block was realizing that the video contained 10 letters (I only found 5 at first). Though, if I had made the timetable connection earlier, I would have known that there were more.
Spoiler!
Incidentally, before making the timetable connection, I found that using the "jump forward 5 seconds" feature on Youtube turned out to be way more effective than just scrubbing.
Casarami

Post by Casarami » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:05 pm

initseeker wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm
Spoiler!
ugh, that video. 22 minutes of near nothing. I tried skipping around and only found 6 of them, so I guess I'll need to actually sit through it (maybe at 2x speed) unless somebody found a better way.
What is the video? I can’t find it!,
Queb3741

Post by Queb3741 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:47 am

Whyyyy would we even think to use
Spoiler!
Page 82??? Such a stretch!!! Frustrating to think we are expected to remember ever puzzle along the way
Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:41 am

How absurd. This is neither logical nor inventive - it's just obscure, tedious and partially random. I don't believe Einstein would get this without spoilers or hints.
(1) Recognise this refers to a website, (2) watch a tedious, 22 minute video to note the appearance of 10 letters (with visibility duration that can only hint at a number/time that might be relevant), (3) recognise that half of these numbers are similar to numbers in a table eight pages earlier (note half of the times do NOT relate, and also note the page 90 video numbers/times were in minutes and seconds, while page 82 refers to hours and minutes), (4) then just randomly ignoring the 5 video letters that apparently have no relevance, place the 5 letters that do relate to the page 82 list in the table on page 90, with locations corresponding to the matching words and images, (5) then read the letters in the cross-referenced sequence of 5 pairs of letters gleaned from the page 76 key.
Again: I get it! I got it! But the author can get ....! :roll: