Page 12

Asphodel13

Re: Page 12

Post by Asphodel13 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm

yoda wrote:
Spoiler!
Write the keys under where they're noted. Underline each letter you've found. Does that help?
i give up. someone just please enlighten me, im going nuts
Tallis

Post by Tallis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm

One of the trickier puzzles in the book, this 2-stage puzzle is fairly straightforward on the front end, but requires some sharp visual perception and possibly an intuitive leap on the back end to generate a 6-letter word that is the answer. Below is a graded hint system leading to the final answer. It assumes you know keys 4, 7, and 10. If you don't know them, then don't continue.
Spoiler!
1) The first stage of the puzzle is solving the 6X6 grid. Seasoned puzzlers will immediately recognize this as a Sudoku grid. If you are unfamiliar with Sudoku, then it would be a good idea to stop here and learn how to solve an easy-level 6X6 Sudoku. Once done, you can complete this one by replacing the symbols in the grid with their numerical equivalents from 1-6, using the symbol guide just above the grid as a reference to get you started (where the hexagon-shaped symbol = 1, thru the dotted-circle symbol = 6).
Spoiler!
2) The second stage of the puzzle begins with the Sudoku solved and all 36 numbers in place. Focus on the 6 boxes in the grid that have either the letter a, b, or c in them. Note the number in each lettered box: there are 2 'a', 2 'b', and 2 'c' boxes.
Spoiler!
3) Knowing the 6 letter/number combos (a1, a2, b2, b3, c2, c4), turn your attention to the keyword phrase at the bottom of the page. It tells us that 'a' is 'welcome', 'b' is 'raven', and 'c' is 'fear'. Write those words in underneath the keyword phrase so they read 'welcome raven fear'.
Spoiler!
4) Using the letter/number combos in whatever order you choose, go ahead and circle/highlight/emphasize the first and second letters of a (welcome), the second and third letters of b (raven), and the second and fourth letters of c (fear). Those highlighted letters spell a 6 letter word, which is the solution.
And the answer is below. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER!!
Spoiler!
Extracting the emphasized letters from 'WElcome rAVen fEaR' yields: weaver
LPT

Post by LPT » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:09 pm

I got the two a and c numbers but how is it possible to have b2 and c2 on same column if we are doing this as a sudoku - I made the bs 3 and 6! What am I not getting? I’ve got the solution - (thanks to Tallis!) but I’m confused ...
Valen

Post by Valen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:51 pm

LPT wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:09 pm I got the two a and c numbers but how is it possible to have b2 and c2 on same column if we are doing this as a sudoku - I made the bs 3 and 6! What am I not getting? I’ve got the solution - (thanks to Tallis!) but I’m confused ...
You need to go back to the puzzle as your values are wrong. It’s tricky because of the symbols and numbers (it took me a long time to work it out and I do these daily)
Spoiler!
but it basically uses numbers 1 to 6, you don’t need to put the symbols in, just the numbers.
When you have finished, your puzzle should look like this:
Spoiler!

1|6|2|3|4|5
4|3|5|2|1|6
5|1|6|4|3|2
2|4|3|5|6|1
6|5|4|1|2|3
3|2|1|6|5|4
You then
Spoiler!
take the number from each square with a letter.
So you should now have
Spoiler!
a= 1 & 2, b=2 & 3, and c= 2 & 4
At the bottom of the page is a prompt for you to get the keys from 3 different pages. So with the information you now have, you should have 3 words. Each letter a, b, and c has a word and 2 alphanumeric values associated with it. How can you turn this into a word/value to use as the answer?
Spoiler!
take the word associated with a - welcome, and use letters 1 and 2, for b use letters 2 and 3 of the key etc.
After doing all that, you should end up with
Spoiler!
a six letter word
which is
Spoiler!
weaver.