Page 53

Tallis

Re: Page 53

Post by Tallis » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 pm

This is fairly straightforward and doesn't require too much creativity, but has a quirk at the very end that may hang people up for a bit. Below is are graded hints leading to the solution. It assumes you know keys 26 and 22. If you don't know them, don't continue.
Spoiler!
1) In this puzzle, you draw a figure on the large grid using the data below it, and then use the keyword phrase and the figure together to get the final answer - a single word (although there are two different answers that will work !)
Spoiler!
2) The upper left corner of the grid has a '1' over the first column, and an 'a' (no, its not a '2' even tho it looks like it) next to the first row. Go ahead and label columns 2 to 14 to the right of column 1, and label rows b to m below row a. You will have a grid of columns from 1 to 14 and rows from a to m.
Spoiler!
3) Beginning with 'd7', shade in the box at the intersection of column d and row 7. Do the same with the rest of the coordinates in the set. When you're done, you should have a well known image of a piece from the game of chess.
Spoiler!
4) Knowing where a rook begins the game on a chess board, look at the keyword phrase 'two pieces away'. What chess piece(s) begin the game two pieces away from the rook? Note that 'two pieces' means that there are 2 pieces that lie between the rook and the target piece you are discovering. American audiences will probably respond to the phrase 'three pieces away' better.
And the final answer is:
Spoiler!
5) 'king' or 'queen' depending on which rook you are imagining on the board. Either answer will work.
Madad07

Post by Madad07 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Tallis wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 pm This is fairly straightforward and doesn't require too much creativity, but has a quirk at the very end that may hang people up for a bit. Below is are graded hints leading to the solution. It assumes you know keys 26 and 22. If you don't know them, don't continue.
Spoiler!
1) In this puzzle, you draw a figure on the large grid using the data below it, and then use the keyword phrase and the figure together to get the final answer - a single word (although there are two different answers that will work !)
Spoiler!
2) The upper left corner of the grid has a '1' over the first column, and an 'a' (no, its not a '2' even tho it looks like it) next to the first row. Go ahead and label columns 2 to 14 to the right of column 1, and label rows b to m below row a. You will have a grid of columns from 1 to 14 and rows from a to m.
Spoiler!
3) Beginning with 'd7', shade in the box at the intersection of column d and row 7. Do the same with the rest of the coordinates in the set. When you're done, you should have a well known image of a piece from the game of chess.
Spoiler!
4) Knowing where a rook begins the game on a chess board, look at the keyword phrase 'two pieces away'. What chess piece(s) begin the game two pieces away from the rook? Note that 'two pieces' means that there are 2 pieces that lie between the rook and the target piece you are discovering. American audiences will probably respond to the phrase 'three pieces away' better.
And the final answer is:
Spoiler!
5) 'king' or 'queen' depending on which rook you are imagining on the board. Either answer will work.
Ok. I got this but it's a very poorly written puzzle. In no sense is English used like this. 2 away means bishop, period.
Heryllion

Post by Heryllion » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:39 pm

That was quite the stretch. The drawing that I made vaguely looks like what you're saying it should look like. But I don't understand the big line across the bottom portion. And the gap between the two halves. I would never have gotten this as one recognizable item. So this one was disappointing.
Ianhtigh

Post by Ianhtigh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:21 pm

Heryllion wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:39 pm That was quite the stretch. The drawing that I made vaguely looks like what you're saying it should look like. But I don't understand the big line across the bottom portion. And the gap between the two halves. I would never have gotten this as one recognizable item. So this one was disappointing.
I think you misread some of the letters maybe ? D E F I G J K H
Ianhtigh

Post by Ianhtigh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Madad07 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:19 pm
Tallis wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 pm This is fairly straightforward and doesn't require too much creativity, but has a quirk at the very end that may hang people up for a bit. Below is are graded hints leading to the solution. It assumes you know keys 26 and 22. If you don't know them, don't continue.
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
And the final answer is:
Spoiler!
Ok. I got this but it's a very poorly written puzzle. In no sense is English used like this. 2 away means bishop, period.
Yes i think this is a translation problem? From the uk here and 4 is still 3 away from 1. 4 is not 2 away from one?
Gary

Post by Gary » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:24 pm

The problem is that this is another mistake in the book. It can't be excused by saying there are two pieces between the shape and the required answer. One piece away is a Knight. Three (not two) pieces away results in two options, one of which is the answer required.